A young man tragically died from a drug overdose, and his obituary has gone viral. His grieving parents took the opportunity to warn other parents.
Clay Shepard was only 22 years old when he died. His family wrote a touching obituary that has gone viral. "This note isn't an attempt to assign blame for Clay's death," writes the Shepard family. "We write this obituary in hope that it may provide an insight to those that need to change their behavior one night at a time."
The obituary goes on to describe Shepard as a friendly, likable guy, a good athlete and student with a fantastic wit. Few suspected that Shepard was struggling with addiction until the situation got out of control. After trying a few stints in drug rehabs, the addiction finally claimed the young man's life.
"While we always felt we had some grip on Clay's issues, his ability to hide and disguise his addiction proved superior to our parental (and sibling) sixth sense," wrote the Shepard family. "To all children, this note is a simple reminder that there are people who love you, with everything they have and no matter what you do - don't be too afraid/ashamed/scared, too anything, to ask for help. To all parents, pay attention to your children and the world that revolves around them - even when the surface is calm, the water may be turbulent just beneath."
Hopefully, those who need to hear the message are getting it.