An E. coli infection led to the death of a 4-year-old girl, while her 5-year-old pal fights for his life.
Serena Faith Profitt was pronounced dead on Monday, September 8, at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland, Oregon. Tests confirmed she had E. coli. Meanwhile, her friend, Brad Sutton, remains in critical condition at Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital in Tacoma, Washington. He is suffering from kidney failure caused by the deadly bacteria.
The two children had split a turkey sandwich from the Roadhouse 18 Bar and Grill in Otis, Oregon over the Labor Day weekend. After 48 hours, they both suffered from abdominal pains, fevers and bloody diarrhea. The children’s parents are convinced the sandwich was contaminated because no one else tasted it, and it was all that the kids ate at the time.
When Serena’s symptoms appeared, her family rushed her to the emergency room. Doctors released her and instructed her parents to give her plenty of fluids. Three days later her condition worsened and she was admitted to the hospital. Doctors put her on dialysis, and she appeared to improve.
Unfortunately, on Sunday, she suffered a stroke as the bacteria invaded her brain and nervous system. The sweet little girl who loved singing and books passed away later on Monday night.
Authorities are currently investigating the eatery, but as Brad’s mother Elizabeth told The Oregonian, “I know in my heart it’s what they ate because everyone else is just fine.”
Photo: Oregon Live