Woman Farts During Laser Surgery And Bursts Into Flames

Everyone passes gas now and then; it's a biological function that no human being can escape. It doesn't matter how much money you have, or how high you are on the social ladder: flatulence is a fact of life. The problem with farting is not that we have to do it, but that it can sometimes occur at the most inopportune times.

One woman in Japan is in the running for the most unfortunate fart ever. The 30-something woman was a patient at Tokyo Medical University Hospital and was undergoing laser surgery on her cervix.

The woman was under anesthesia, and in her sleep, she passed gas. "The laser is believed to have ignited the gas she passed,” a report released by the hospital said. “The blaze burned much of her body, including her waist and legs," reports the The Asahi Shimbun, a Japanese newspaper.

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation [room], it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire," said a report from the hospital.

An investigation found there were no flammable materials found in the operation room, nor any negligence on the part of the hospital. It was just a freak accident.

Human flatulence is composed of carbon dioxide, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen and methane. It is most definitely flammable under the right conditions. If you don't believe it, just do a search for 'farts on fire' on YouTube, and you'll get some well-documented evidence. Apparently, lighting farts on fire is a great way to get your video to go viral. One man got over 9 million views for an impromptu demonstration while he played with his cats.

The woman's identity is being protected and there have been no reports on her condition. It’s probably an incident she’d just like to put behind her.

Source: Independent Journal Review
Photos: iStock

You Might Also Want to Watch

Tell Us What You Think

Popular

More From Us