Quantcast

Wall Suddenly Catches on Fire, Then Woman Notices the Doorknob

A family in the UK was fortunate to escape without injury when their home caught fire, and they were downright stunned when they found out what started it. As Get West London reports, the blaze was sparked by sunlight reflecting off of a glass doorknob on the front door.

The rattled family was able to escape without injury, and firefighters were quickly on the scene. The blaze was contained to the front of the house, and officials would inform the family that the doorknob was the culprit. Clare Thomson was pretty stunned by that news, and she feels that the knobs should include some kind of warning to that effect.

“I was amazed at how intense the low September sun could be and I was amazed at how quickly a small fire could take place. I dread to think what would have happened if I had not been at home,” she said.

She’s speaking out to help raise awareness of the dangers and encouraging friends to make sure they are protected.

“Since the fire, I have been asking all my friends if they have smoke alarms, and if they know that they are actually working and checked. I would advise people not to buy crystal doorknobs, and I would advise home stores to be aware of the fire risk when stocking. Or, at least, such doorknobs should come with a warning,” she continued.

Charlie Pugsley, head of the brigade’s fire investigation team, concurs, and he also offered up some warnings for those that include shiny things among their decorating choices.

“Crystal and glass ornaments and items such as shaving mirrors should be kept out of direct sunlight. The homeowners were extremely lucky and they were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm. I would urge everyone to ensure they have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home and know what to do in the event of a fire,” he said.

Source: Get West London
Photo: Get West London

Do you have doorknobs in your house that this could happen to?

More News Stories

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell finally held a press conference over the recent explosive allegations of domestic violence perpetrated by players....

A pregnant California woman was stranded in a national forest when she gave birth to a baby girl. The pair were rescued when a helicopter was sent...

One thing Jeb Bush and Hillary Clinton have in common is a growing concern about the popularity of fellow presidential candidate Marco Rubio, the...

Three men are facing charges of killing an elderly woman in a gun battle outside her home in South Carolina last week.

The local coroner...

Bernie Sanders fears the agreement Donald Trump and Mike Pence reached with Carrier Corp., to prevent about 1,000 Indiana jobs from moving to...

Latest News Stories

A man in Germany was renovating a home that belonged to his father when he made a startling discovery in the attic: he found a body. The man...

John Kasich stressed that he would refuse to serve as Donald Trump’s vice-presidential running mate in this year’s general election.

There...

A police officer in Columbus, OH had to rush to the hospital after he cut his mouth up pretty good while eating a sandwich. According to ABC 6,...

Hillary Clinton’s official announcement on Sunday that she is running for president prompted a number of Republican leaders to speak out against...

An unidentified 27-year-old man in Adelaide, Australia has been essentially slapped on the wrist for a series of sex acts that involved his own...

A bodybuilder is being slammed for online bullying after he made fun of an elderly woman at his gym. He posted a video of the woman attempting to...

It was like any other day for Val. He was working at Walmart, greeting customers as always, when one of his regular customers approached him and...

Have you ever been so down that you felt like you needed a hug? Have you ever felt like you wish you had a shoulder to cry on, or someone to lean...

A young man from Alabama who lived with his father since age five was graduating high school. Like many kids, he applied for college. The college...

An employee at the Dollywood amusement park in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee made an amazing discovery while cleaning up after the devastation of the...