A family in the UK was fortunate to escape without injury when their home caught fire, and they were downright stunned when they found out what started it. As Get West London reports, the blaze was sparked by sunlight reflecting off of a glass doorknob on the front door.
The rattled family was able to escape without injury, and firefighters were quickly on the scene. The blaze was contained to the front of the house, and officials would inform the family that the doorknob was the culprit. Clare Thomson was pretty stunned by that news, and she feels that the knobs should include some kind of warning to that effect.
“I was amazed at how intense the low September sun could be and I was amazed at how quickly a small fire could take place. I dread to think what would have happened if I had not been at home,” she said.
She’s speaking out to help raise awareness of the dangers and encouraging friends to make sure they are protected.
“Since the fire, I have been asking all my friends if they have smoke alarms, and if they know that they are actually working and checked. I would advise people not to buy crystal doorknobs, and I would advise home stores to be aware of the fire risk when stocking. Or, at least, such doorknobs should come with a warning,” she continued.
Charlie Pugsley, head of the brigade’s fire investigation team, concurs, and he also offered up some warnings for those that include shiny things among their decorating choices.
“Crystal and glass ornaments and items such as shaving mirrors should be kept out of direct sunlight. The homeowners were extremely lucky and they were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarm. I would urge everyone to ensure they have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home and know what to do in the event of a fire,” he said.
Source: Get West London
Photo: Get West London
Do you have doorknobs in your house that this could happen to?
Those that deal with frequent headaches know the drill. One minute everything seems fine, and the next thing you know you have a pounding in your...
Pig’s ears dog chews are pretty popular among our furry little friends, but we have some bad news for Fido and company. As the Seattle Times...
A doctor recently received a greeting card from a patient, and he was shocked and upset. The card had an actual historical photo of an “ugly”...