Every once in a while kids in grade school all participate in strange challenges. A while ago they were all doing the Kylie Jenner lip challenge and busting their lips. Before that, they were hanging from belts from their clothing rods for a quick high, which resulted in the devastating deaths of many teens all over the world.
The most recent challenge that has erupted on social media is the "Eraser Challenge.” It involves kids rubbing a rubber eraser on their skin furiously until their skin breaks and starts bleeding. Most kids dare each other to do this, often by telling them to keep erasing for a duration of a song or the duration of singing their ABC's.
Most kids do not know that this can scar the skin permanently. In some cases this has also given kids staph infections and caused toxic shock syndrome. In some severe cases victims can also develop hepatitis and contract HIV. One student in Junior High is now in the hospital fighting for his life because of the eraser challenge. He is only 13 years old and has developed Strep A Toxic Shock.
A mom in West Fargo, Talia Ross said that she remembered doing things like that when she was school but she had not heard of anything like that in her child's school district. She said, "There's always some kind of fad, but that doesn’t mean it’s necessarily right. I just feel like there are better things that kids could be doing other than trying to give themselves burns on their skin."
The East Iredell Middle School posted a photo of a child's arm with scarring on it with the following caption, "Parents! Do your children have any burn marks? The latest internet challenge is the ‘Eraser Challenge.’ Kids are rubbing an eraser across their skin while having to do or say something. It's causing serious burns and we've seen several cases of this at EIMS. (This photo is an example, but is NOT an EIMS student.) I've attached an article of a child that was in critical condition from this challenge."
Source: ABC13 News